Sheikh Shanawaz Mostafa
I am a research fellow in ITI – Interactive Technologies Institute, LARSyS (LAboratory of Robotics and SYStems in Engineering and Science). I received a Ph.D. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Instituto Superior Técnico, University of Lisbon. My B.Sc. Eng. and M.Sc. were in Electronics and Communication and Biomedical Engineering from Khulna University and Khulna University of Engineering & Technology. My research includes Biomedical signal processing for sleep apnea, wellbeing, biomedical, medical treatment and diagnosis devices and algorithms, electronic design, machine learning, signal and image processing. I worked in multidisciplinary areas and cross-cultural environments.
CLUBS & SOCIETIES
- Associated Member of Bangladesh Computer Society (BCS), membership number: 08613
- Member of the International Association of Engineers (IAENG), membership number: 112961
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), membership number: 93872891
QUALIFICATIONS & AWARDS
- Oct 2017 1st Telefónica Chair Competition of the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. Won 1st prize in the 'Innovation / Research Project' category for "Analysis of sleep quality and diagnosis of obstructive apnea from an artificial intelligence system of low cost and minimal complexity".
- July 2017 Best student Paper award in International Conference and Workshop on Bioinspired Intelligence. The award was given to the paper for "A minimally invasive portable system for sleep apnea detection".
- Ph.D. thesis Pass with Distinction for "Obstructive sleep apnea detection using fourth level devices".
Aug 2005- Sept 2005, ALLIANCE FOR CO-OPERATION
- Raised awareness among street children about hygiene, education and violence through education
19 Nov 2007– 2 Dec 2007, Local Government, Kulia uninion, Khulna, Bangladesh.
- Supply and distribute pure drinking water.
April 2008 – Nov 2012, BADHAN (a voluntary blood donation organization)
- Data collection
- Report Writing
- Critical thinking
- Planning and scheduling
Hardware and Prototyping Skills
- Field Programmable Gate Array
- Fusion 360
Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Instituto Superior Técnico at the University of Lisbon, Portugal
Networked Interactive Cyber Physical Systems which is a collaboration between Instituto Superior Técnico and Carnegie Mellon University Partnership
Thesis: Obstructive sleep apnea detection using fourth level devices
Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering
Khulna University of Engineering & Technology (KUET), Bangladesh.
Thesis: Clench Strength Prediction for Prosthesis Hand using Surface Electrode Electromyogram
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Electronics & Communication Engineering (ECE) (4 years course)
Khulna University, Khulna-9208, Bangladesh.
Thesis: An Efficient Paging Algorithm for multi-Carrier CDMA System
Postdoc Researcher (R2)
Interactive Technologies Institute
Biomedical signals and AI.
Postdoctoral Researcher (R2)
Marítimo Training LAB
MTL (Marítimo Training LAB)
Developed models to predict performance and injuries using Artificial Intelligence tools for Club Sport Marítimo.
January 2021-February 2021
Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute, Funchal – Portugal.
“MITIExcell”, Sleep Analysis
Developed of sleep analysis techniques and prototype using machine learning.
November 2019-December 2020
Faculdade de Matemática e Engenharias Universidade da Madeira Campus da Penteada 9000-390 Funchal.
It was part of the Ph.D. program. To gain knowledge and training of taking class and teaching students.
Delivered some lectures related to machine leaning and cheeked the assignments.
July 2018-February 2019
Ph.D. Researcher (R1)
Was funded by ARDITI for pursuing a Ph.D. Research under Networked Interactive Cyber Physical Systems program in Instituto Superior Técnico.
November 2015-October 2019
Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute, Funchal – Portugal.
“Vision 3D”, Funded through +Knowledge program with the company AWAIBA Lda (currently AMS).
Development of image processing pipeline for small endoscopy camera using VHDL and FPGA.
October 2014-August 2015
Khulna University of Engineering & Technology (KUET), Khulna-9203, Bangladesh.
“Performance of Different Bio-signals on Different Physiological and Mental State”, funded by University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh.
Trained different people collect and analyze biomedical data.
December 2011-November 2012
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Khulna University of Engineering & Technology (KUET) Khulna-9203, Bangladesh.
Teach in labs and graded students’ assignments.
July 2010-November 2011
Peer Review Journal Paper
- "A method based on cardiopulmonary coupling analysis for sleep quality assessment with FPGA implementation", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, DOI: 10.1016/j.artmed.2021.102019. (IF:4.383, Q1)
- "On the use of patterns obtained from LSTM and feature-based methods for time series analysis: application in automatic classification of the CAP A phase subtypes", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, Journal of Neural Engineering, DOI: 10.1088/1741-2552/abd047 (IF: 4.141, Q1)
- "Greedy based convolutional neural network optimization for detecting apnea", SS Mostafa, D Baptista, AG Ravelo-García, G.Juliá-Serdá, F. Morgado-Dias, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 197, 105640 (IF: 3.632, Q1)
- "Cyclic alternating pattern estimation based on a probabilistic model over an EEG signal", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F. Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, Vol 62, 102063, 2020, DOI: 10.1016/j.bspc.2020.102063 (IF: 3.137, Q2)
- "A Method for Sleep Quality Analysis Based on CNN Ensemble With Implementation in a Portable Wireless Device", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F. Morgado-Dias, G.Juliá-Serdá, AG Ravelo-García, IEEE Access, Vol:8, 2020, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3019734, (IF: 3.745, Q1)
- "Multi-Objective Hyperparameter Optimization of Convolutional Neural Network for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Detection", SS Mostafa, F Mendonça, F. Morgado-Dias, G.Juliá-Serdá, AG Ravelo-García, IEEE Access, Vol:8, 129586-129599, 2020, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3009149, (IF: 3.745, Q1)
- "Matrix of Lags: A tool for analysis of multiple dependent time series applied for CAP scoring", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Vol: 189, 2020, DOI: 10.1016/j.cmpb.2020.105314, (IF: 3.632, Q1)
- "An oximetry based wireless device for sleep apnea detection", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, Sensors, Vol: 20, Issue: 3, 2020, DOI: 10.3390/s20030888, (IF: 3.275, Q1)
- "A Portable Wireless Device for Cyclic Alternating Pattern Estimation from an EEG Monopolar Derivation", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, Entropy, Vol: 21, Issue:12, 2019, DOI: 10.3390/e21121203, (IF: 2.494, Q2)
- "SC3: self-configuring classifier combination for obstructive sleep apnea", SS Mostafa, F Mendonça, G.Juliá-Serdá, F. Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, Neural Computing and Applications, 2019, DOI: 10.1007/s00521-019-04582-2 (IF: 4.774, Q1)
- "Sleep quality of subjects with and without sleep-disordered breathing based on the cyclic alternating pattern rate estimation from single-lead ECG", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, T Penzel, Physiological Measurement, Volume 40, Number 10, 2019, DOI: 10.1088/1361-6579/ab4f08 (IF: 2.309, Q3)
- "A Systematic Review of Detecting Sleep Apnea Using Deep Learning", SS Mostafa, F Mendonça, AG Ravelo-García, F. Morgado-Dias, Sensors, vol 19, Issue: 22, 2019, DOI: 10.3390/s19224934 (IF: 3.275, Q1)
- "A Review of Approaches for Sleep Quality Analysis", F. Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F. Morgado-Dias, A. G Ravelo-García, Thomas Penzel, IEEE Access, 2019, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2900345, (IF:3.557 ,Q1)
- "A Review of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Detection Approaches", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, AG Ravelo-García, F Morgado-Dias, T Penzel, IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 2019. DOI: 10.1109/JBHI.2018.2823265. (IF: 3.850, Q1)
- "Sleep quality estimation by cardiopulmonary coupling analysis", F. Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F. Morgado-Dias, A. G Ravelo-García, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 2018. DOI: 10.1109/TNSRE.2018.2881361. (IF: 3.972, Q1)
- "Implementation Strategy of Convolution Neural Networks on Field Programmable Gate Arrays for Appliance Classification Using the Voltage and Current (VI) Trajectory", D Baptista, SS Mostafa, L Pereira, L Sousa, F Morgado-Dias, Energies, Vol 11, Issue 9, p 2460, 2018. DOI: 10.3390/en11092460 (IF:2.676, Q2)
- "Design of sEMG Based Clench Force Estimator in FPGA using Artificial Neural Networks", SS Mostafa, MA Awal, M Ahmad, and F Morgado-Dias, Neural Computing and Applications, 2018. (IF: 4.213, Q1)
- "Analog Active Filter Design using a Multi Objective Genetic Algorithm", SS Mostafa, N Horta, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, AEÜ International Journal of Electronics and Communications,2018. DOI: 10.1016/j.aeue.2018.06.001 (IF: 2.46, Q1)
- "Comparison of SFS and mRMR for oximetry feature selection in obstructive sleep apnea detection", SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García,Neural Computing and Applications, 2018. (IF: 4.213, Q1).
- "Devices for Home Detection of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Review", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, AG Ravelo-García, F Morgado-Dias, T Penzel, Sleep Medicine Reviews, 2018. (IF: 10.602, Q1)
- "A portable wireless device based on oximetry for sleep apnea detection", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, JL Navarro-Mesa, G. Juliá-Serdá, A G Ravelo-García, Computing, 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s00607-018-0624-7 (IF: 1.654, Q2)
- "Automatic detection of cyclic alternating pattern", F Mendonça, A Fred, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, Neural Computing and Applications, 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s00521-018-3474-5. (IF: 4.213, Q1)
- "Full image-processing pipeline in field-programmable gate array for a small endoscopic camera", SS Mostafa, LN Sousa, NF Ferreira, RM Sousa, J Santos, M Wäny, F Morgado-Dias, Journal of Electronic Imaging, vol: 26, Issue: 1. p 013005, 2017. DOI: 10.1117/1.JEI.26.1.013005 (IF: 0.78, Q4)
- "Voiceless Bangla vowel recognition using sEMG signal", SS Mostafa, MA Awal, M Ahmad, MA Rashid, SpringerPlus, vol:5, Issue:1, p 1522, 2016. DOI: 10.1186/s40064-016-3170-9. (IF: 1.13, Q2)
- "Performance evaluation of diversified SVM kernel functions for breast tumor early prognosis", KJ Reza, S Khatun, MF Jamlos, MM Fakir, SS Mostafa, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 9 (3), 329-335, 2014
- "An adaptive level dependent wavelet thresholding for ECG denoising", MA Awal, SS Mostafa, M Ahmad, MA Rashid, Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering 34 (4), 238-249. DOI: 10.1016/j.bbe.2014.03.002 (IF: 1.432, Q3)
- "A Radio Based Intelligent Railway Grade Crossing System to Avoid Collision", SS Mostafa, M Hossian, KJ Reza, GM Rashid, International Journal of Computer Science Issues, vol:7, issue:6, pp 139-143 (arXiv preprint arXiv:1109.0077)
- "An efficient paging algorithm for multi-carrier CDMA system", SS Mostafa, KJ Reza, GM Rashid, M Moinuddin, M Amin, AA Nahid, International Journal of Computer Science Issues, vol:8, issue:3, pp 421-426
- "Implementation of Speech Recognition Based Robotic System", MA Al Ahasan, MA Awal, SS Mostafa, International Journal of Computer and Information Technology (IJCIT), vol:1, Issue: 02, pp 16-19, 2011
- "Intelligent Paging Strategy for Multi-Carrier CDMA System", SS Mostafa, KJ Reza, M Amin, M Ahmad, International Journal of Computer Science Issues 8 (1), 254-260. 2011
- "Performance analysis of Savitzky-Golay smoothing filter using ECG signal", MA Awal, SS Mostafa, M Ahmad, International Journal of Computer and Information Technology 1 (02), 24-29, 2011
- "A Multi-Platform Mobile Banking Framework for Bangladesh", SS Mostafa, KJ Reza, AA Tanvir, JOURNAL OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS 3 (1), 90-94, 2010
- "Design and Optimization of ECG Modeling for Generating Different Cardiac Dysrhythmias", MA Awal, SS Mostafa, M Ahmad, MA Alahe, MA Rashid, AZ Kouzani, MAP Mahmud, Sensors. 2021; 21(5):1638. DOI: 10.3390/s21051638 (IF:3.275, Q1)
- "XGB-RF: A Hybrid Machine Learning Approach for IoT Intrusion Detection", JA Faysal, ST Mostafa, JS Tamanna, KM Mumenin, M Arifin, M Awal, A Shome, SS Mostafa, Telecom 3, 52-69, 2022.
International Conference Paper
- "Combination of Deep and Shallow Networks for Cyclic Alternating Patterns Detection", SS Mostafa, F Mendonça, A Ravelo-García, F Morgado-Dias, 2018 13th APCA International Conference on Control and Soft Computing (CONTROLO), pp 98-103, 2018
- "Sleep Quality Analysis with Cardiopulmonary Coupling", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias and A Ravelo-García, International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Applications, 2018
- "Scattering Behaviour Analysis for UWB Antenna in the Vicinity of Heterogeneous Breast Tissues", K J Reza, SS Mostafa, M H Milon, S Khatun and M F Jamlos, International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Applications, 2018
- "Automatic Detection of a Phases for CAP Classification", F Mendonça, A Fred, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Pattern Recognition Applications and Methods (ICPRAM), pp 394-400, Funchal, Portugal
- "Optimization of sleep apnea detection using SpO2 and ANN", SS Mostafa, JP Carvalho, F Morgado-Dias, A Ravelo-García, XXVI International Conference on Information, Communication and Automation Technologies (ICAT), pp. 1-6, Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina 2017. DOI: 10.1109/ICAT.2017.8171609
- "SpO2 based Sleep Apnea Detection using Deep Learning", SS Mostafa, F Mendonça, F Morgado-Dias, A Ravelo-García, IEEE 21st International Conference on Intelligent Engineering Systems 2017 (INES 2017), pp. 000091-000096, Larnaca, Cyprus. DOI: 10.1109/INES.2017.8118534
- "A Method for Designing EMG Integrator using an FPGA", SS Mostafa, MA Awal, M Ahmad, F Morgado-Dias, 2017 International Conference and Workshop on Bioinspired Intelligence (IWOBI), pp. 1-6, Funchal, Portugal. DOI: 10.1109/IWOBI.2017.7985523
- "A minimally invasive portable system for sleep apnea detection", F Mendonca, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, J Navarro-Mesa, G Julia-Serda, A Ravelo-Garcia 2017 International Conference and Workshop on Bioinspired Intelligence (IWOBI), pp. 1-5, Funchal, Portugal. DOI: 10.1109/IWOBI.2017.7985524
- "FPGA Implementation of Gamma Correction using a Piecewise Linear Approach for a Small Size Endoscopic Camera", SS Mostafa, LN Sousa, NF Ferreira, RM Sousa, J Santos, F Morgado-Dias, M. Wäny, Electronic Imaging, Image Sensors and Imaging Systems 2016, pp. 1-6(6), San Francisco, USA. DOI: 10.2352/ISSN.2470-1173.2016.12.IMSE-276
- "Human emotion recognition using frequency & statistical measures of EEG signal", M Islam, T Ahmed, SS Mostafa, MSU Yusuf, M Ahmad,2013 International Conference on Informatics, Electronics & Vision (ICIEV), pp 1-6, Dhaka Bangladesh. DOI: 10.1109/ICIEV.2013.6572658
- "Clench force estimation by surface electromyography for neural prosthesis hand", SS Mostafa, M Ahmad, MA Awal, 2012 International Conference on Informatics, Electronics & Vision (ICIEV), pp 505-510, Dhaka Bangladesh. DOI: 10.1109/ICIEV.2012.6317489
- "Mental states estimation with the variation of physiological signals", T T K Munia, A Islam, M M Islam, S S Mostafa, M Ahmad, 2012 International Conference on Informatics, Electronics & Vision (ICIEV), pp 800-805, Dhaka Bangladesh. DOI: 10.1109/ICIEV.2012.6317333
- "Correlation of Heart-rate and Cardiac Cycle Duration under Different Body Positions and Breathing", SS Mostafa, MA Awal, MM Islam, M Ahmad, International Conference on Advances in Electrical Engineering, 2011, pp 246-251, Dhaka Bangladesh
- "Quality Assessment of ECG Signal using Symlet Wavelet Transform", MA Awal, SS Mostafa, M Ahmad, International Conference on Advances in Electrical Engineering, pp 129-134, Dhaka Bangladesh
- "Simplified mathematical model for generating ECG signal and fitting the model using nonlinear least square technique", A Awal, SS Mostafa, M Ahmad, International Conference on Mechanical Engineering (ICME), pp 1-6, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- "Cyclic Alternating Pattern Estimation from One EEG Monopolar Derivation Using a Long Short-Term Memory", F Mendonça, SS Mostafa, F Morgado-Dias, AG Ravelo-García,2019 International Conference in Engineering Applications (ICEA), 1-5
National Conference Paper
- "E-Health in Bangladesh: Possibilities", MA Awal, SS Mostafa, M Maniruzzaman, Conference on Engineering Research, Innovation and Education, p 677, Sylhet, Bangladesh. 2010
- "An Analysis and Comparison of Wireless Multi-Hop MAC Protocol for Emergency Networks", HHI Habib, S. Khan, J. Ibna Kalam, S.S. Mostafa, M.M. Mobarak, Conference on Engineering Research, Innovation and Education, p 305, 2010
- "A Radio-Based Railway Crossing Control System to Reduce Accident", SS Mostafa, M.M. Hossain, Conference on Engineering Research, Innovation and Education, p 297, Sylhet, Bangladesh, 2010.
Sheikh Shanawaz Mostafa
LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/s2mostafa
Google scholar: https://goo.gl/k3pYcW